Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick: My Lips But Better (MLBB)

So I've become a bit obsessed with lipsticks. In the past I have never been one for lip products at all, but slowly my love of lipsticks, and lipsticks in bright colours, has grown. I love bright corals, and reds, and my favourite lipstick by far right now would be my Revlon Matte in Really Red (which I've been told is shade that sits somewhere between MAC Ruby Woo, and MAC Russian Red).

But sometimes a girl needs a colour for her lips that doesn't scream "look at me!" For instance, I teach, and I don't want my students focusing more on my lip colour than on what I have to say to them about poetry, so I'm always on the look out for a good MLBB shade. For those of you who haven't come across this term yet, this handy acronym stands for "My Lips But Better" : describing a shade of lip colour that is natural, but enhances your already present lip colour.

I recently bought some of the Maybelline Colour Sensational lipsticks. I know they've been out for ages, but I hate paying close to $20 for Maybelline, I always just keep thinking about how it's available elsewhere (the USA) for a quarter of the price. But I caved when Priceline was having a buy one get one free special on their Maybelline lip products a few weeks ago. Two for around $16.95 wasn't too bad.

Now I have to say, I was really impressed with the two I got. They were Totally Toffee, and Pink Petal. I really liked the look of another colour they had, Warm Me Up but they were out of stock at Priceline. After having the two for a week or so I headed to Big-W and picked up Warm Me Up as well, and I just had to swatch them and see what you guys thought. So here they are:

(from left) Totally Toffee, Warm Me Up and Pink Petal
Now for the swatches!
From top here we have Totally Toffee, Warm Me Up and Pink Petal. 
In this shot pink petal looks almost corally, but it really is just a soft pink. They all have the lovely sheen you can see on the Warm Me Up swatch in this photo. 

Here's Pink Petal on the lips:

...and Warm Me Up:

lastly, Totally Toffee.

I really love all of these shades, I find them to be totally wearable and well pigmented. The tint of the colour stays on your lips for a good few hours which is good for a lipstick that isn't sold as a colour stay. For 'drugstore' lipsticks I think these are fabulous, and I have to mention the wide variety of colours in this range. There are 44 shades in four categories, pinks, plums, naturals and reds. Click here to check out the shades on the Maybelline NY Australian site. 

I should probably also mention that there is a newer version of this range that has just come out (the ones I've mentioned are still available though, the new range is just in addition to the originals). This is called the ColorSensational Pearls collection which apparently has the added benefit of 'Micronized Pearls' in it, whatever that means! I'm not a fan of this range though, it's mostly sheers, nudes and light lipsticks which I can never seem to pull off. You can check out the Pearl shades here.

I'm curious to know beauties, do you have a favourite MLBB shade? Which of the three colours I have do you like best? 

xxxBeautyScholar

0 comments:

Post a Comment