Pefume Review: Purr by Katy Perry

Ahhh Katy Perry, I tried not to like you, I really did. When the annoying 'I kissed a girl' was being played over and over on the radio I despised you, but slowly Ms P has won my heart.

How could you not love a celeb with such funky style? And the catchy tunes on the 'Teenage Dream' album don't hurt either... then it was those funky O.P.I colours in her nail polish range. 'Not Like the Movies' is still up there with my favourite O.P.I colours, and it's perfect with a coat of Black Shatter over the top of course.

Katy has continued to pump up her bank account using her current popularity by launching a fragrance called Purr by Katy Perry. Celeb fragrances always suck me in, but I honestly have to like the product too before I'll buy it. I have a couple of the Britney Spears fragrances, and when Radiance came out last year I was all ready to add it to my collection, given that the bottle was so pretty, but it was far too sickly sweet for me, so it remained on the Myer shelf.

But, I don't think I will have the power to resist Purr. First of all, it looks like this:


I mean come on! It's a gorgeous shade of purple, it has sparkles on the bottle, AND it's a kitty cat!! Katy, or the smart perfume company designers, have really made this product with young women in mind. Purr combines cuteness, with feline sexiness and spunk, in a bottle I just want to play with all the time.

So, last night I went on the hunt for the perfume itself, having seen the pics and read all about it, and I finally found it at David Jones, where they had the 50ml eu de parfum bottle for $69 and the 100ml for $89. But when I first sprayed it, I wasn't convinced. I was chatting with a couple of the sales ladies about it and they said they felt the same, but the thing with this fragrance is once it's been on the skin for a while it morphs into something quite different than that first spray. I had to see that for myself.

On first sniff this perfume reminds me of blueberries, really full on sweet blueberry scent with a touch of bubblegum and green apple. But, after sitting on your skin for ten or so minutes, (the DJs gals were right!!) the bubblegum and blueberries fade to this lovely rich vanilla, with tones of berry sweetness.

The official scent description is: Purr opens with a fresh citrus accord featuring peach nectar and apple with green bamboo. Supporting notes include a delicate bouquet of jasmine blossom, pink freesia and Bulgarian rose, balanced by vanilla orchid, white amber, creamy sandalwood and musk.

I never really understand these descriptions, and they don't really give me an image of what perfumes smell like, but I do get the apple for sure, and the jasmine, rose and vanilla really set in later.

If you like sweet or woody scents just give this one a chance. I think after wearing it for a while I would have to classify it as more woody or oriental. It's definately sexy, and it is really strong too, so if you're a bit sensitive to fragrances I'd stay away. The heaviness of it reminds me a little bit of Lola by Marc Jacobs, but the scents themselves are only slightly similar.

Now, the question is, how long can I wait before I buy it? I only wish I lived in the states where the 1 ounce (30ml) bottle is only about $35... here it's $49 - too close to fifty bucks for a broke PhD student I think, given the fact I'm not 100% sure I like it!

Purr by Katy Perry is available in Australia officially on April 24, 2011.

0 comments:

Post a Comment